Graduate Environmental Planner (JR285)
Dalcour Maclaren is an innovative and highly dynamic multi-disciplinary consultancy working on huge range of exciting and diverse projects for a growing client base within Utilities and Infrastructure – think HS2, Offshore wind farms and Nuclear Energy! We are immensely proud to be working on some of the largest infrastructure projects taking place across the UK (and beyond!) which are instrumental in shaping the future of our planet. If you want to play your part in helping the earth become more sustainable, and to reach NetZero by 2050, you would be making the right choice by joining the team here at Dalcour Maclaren.
As a Graduate Environmental Planner, you will support the wider Environment and Planning team, developing the breadth of knowledge required to research, understand and offer advice on environmental and planning considerations and requirements in relation to a range of infrastructure, utilities and land development projects, completing a variety of tasks with guidance and supervision to acquire essential industry knowledge and skills.
As a graduate at DM, will develop a wide variety of technical competencies required to deliver complex and exciting projects that contribute to the country’s developing infrastructure and sustainability goals. Here more on this graduate opportunity here: Graduates: An Interview with Caroline Morris – YouTube
As a Graduate Environmental Planner you will:
- Learn how to conduct feasibility assessments, to screen, scope, plan and contribute to projects in line relevant Environmental and Planning related guidance, legislation and policy as applied in UK, to provide environmental planning advice and to prepare and deliver planning applications for projects and sites with varying levels of environmental sensitivities.
- Complete a range of tasks with guidance and supervision, including generating fee proposals, researching information from a variety of sources (including a good level of competence in using MAGIC and understanding where to search for relevant planning data), planning, procuring, coordinating and reviewing surveys, drafting and presenting reports, understanding site constraints and mitigation techniques/solutions and liaising with different stakeholders including client teams, Local Authority planning officers and technical specialists.
- Initially shadow and latterly move on to working more independently on tasks and schemes ensuring deadlines and objectives are met, taking ownership of the quality and accuracy of own initial work and seeking guidance from more senior members of staff whilst also using a proactive approach and own initiative as appropriate to drive progress and improve delivery.
- Provide the wider Environmental and Planning team with assistance on other projects and support team and wider business development by contributing ideas and helping to improve systems and processes.
- Maintain good records including timesheets, expense forms and other records of activities to assist with client updates and ensure accurate billing; show appreciation of commercial awareness and understanding the importance of improving this skill.
- Maintain own knowledge and skills via company run and wider CPD and, if working towards professional membership or qualification (e.g. IEMA), take responsibility for own learning and progress, scheduling progress review meetings and maintaining an up to date record of activities.Attend company events and socials, embracing DM’s values and adopting a positive attitude in the workplace.
- Carry out work in compliance with relevant legal, regulatory, contractual and organisational requirements and policies.
The successful candidate will:
- Have a relevant degree (Environmental Sciences, Urban Planning, Geography or similar)
- Have a full UK driving licence and your own transport
- Be proactive and results driven
- Be a natural problem solver
- Have some prior experience working in a team or contributing to a project
- Be a great team player and have a can-do attitude
- Embrace DM’s values and contribute positively to the workplace
- Have excellent attention to detail
Why Dalcour Maclaren? What makes us different?!
Really and truly, it’s our people and our culture. We are ‘One Team’, and this is the lifeblood of our organisation. We champion new ideas and are fully committed to Corporate Social Responsibility, and our Diversity & Inclusion. Our winning formula for success is investing in the fantastic people within our team to deliver an unparalleled and unique service to our clients. If you are looking to work for a growing organisation who are not afraid to be brave, bold, and push the boundaries to challenge the ‘norm’, then a career with DM should be the one for you!
- Annual performance bonus scheme
- 25 days annual leave plus 1 day to celebrate your birthday
- Private healthcare (through Vitality Health)
- Generous pension scheme
- Life insurance (4x Salary)
- 26 Weeks paid Maternity Leave
- 2 Weeks paid Paternity Leave
- Electric vehicle purchase (provided by Octopus Electric Vehicles)
- Professional development – paid study leave
- Military service paid leave (7.5 days per year)
- Flexible working through our ‘Flexible Advantage’ supporting working families & your work/life balance
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised gym membership and other Vitality Member discounts
- Charity support – volunteering your time encouraged
- Cycle to work scheme
Dalcour Maclaren are an equal opportunities employer.