Graduate Environmental Planner
At Dalcour Maclaren we are different – we challenge the norm.
Every day we deliver the future by playing our part in building sustainable and improved infrastructure across the UK and beyond. We provide a full range of services across the Power, Water, Telecoms and Transport sectors, and have grown year on year to become one of the leaders in the infrastructure and utility sectors. Our winning formula for success is to focus on the fantastic people within our team whom we value, trust, develop and empower.
Joining DM as a Graduate Environmental Planner grants you the opportunity to develop the breadth of knowledge required to research, understand and offer advice on environmental and planning considerations and requirements in relation to a range of infrastructure, utilities and land development projects.
As a Graduate Environmental Planner you will:
- learn how to conduct feasibility assessments, to screen, scope, plan and contribute to projects in line relevant Environmental and Planning related guidance, legislation and policy as applied in UK, to provide environmental planning advice and to prepare and deliver planning applications for projects and sites with varying levels of environmental sensitivities.
- complete a range of tasks with guidance and supervision, including generating fee proposals, researching information from a variety of sources (including a good level of competence in using MAGIC and understanding where to search for relevant planning data), planning, procuring, coordinating and reviewing surveys, drafting and presenting reports, understanding site constraints and mitigation techniques/solutions and liaising with different stakeholders including client teams, Local Authority planning officers and technical specialists.
- initially shadow and latterly move on to working more independently on tasks and schemes ensuring deadlines and objectives are met, taking ownership of the quality and accuracy of own initial work and seeking guidance from more senior members of staff whilst also using a proactive approach and own initiative as appropriate to drive progress and improve delivery.
- provide the wider Environmental and Planning team with assistance on other projects and support team and wider business development by contributing ideas and helping to improve systems and processes.
- maintain good records including timesheets, expense forms and other records of activities to assist with client updates and ensure accurate billing; show appreciation of commercial awareness and understanding the importance of improving this skill.
- maintain own knowledge and skills via company run and wider CPD and, if working towards professional membership or qualification (e.g., IEMA), take responsibility for own learning and progress, scheduling progress review meetings and maintaining an up-to-date record of activities.
- attend company events and socials, embracing DM’s values and adopting a positive attitude in the workplace.
- carry out work in compliance with relevant legal, regulatory, contractual and organisational requirements and policies.
The successful candidate will:
- be a natural problem solver and enjoy delivering results
- be a great team player with a can-do attitude
- have a full UK driving licence
Alongside a competitive salary, we offer:
- annual performance bonus scheme
- 25 days annual leave plus 1 day to celebrate your birthday
- private healthcare (through Vitality Health)
- life insurance (4x Salary)
- 26 Weeks paid Maternity Leave
- 2 Weeks paid Paternity Leave
- electric vehicle purchase (provided by Octopus Electric Vehicles)
- professional development – paid study leave
- military service paid leave (7.5 days per year)
- flexible working through our ‘Flexible Advantage’ supporting working families & your work/life balance
- free on-site parking
- subsidised gym membership and other Vitality Member discounts
- charity support – volunteering your time encouraged
- cycle to work scheme
Dalcour Maclaren are an equal opportunities employer.