Dalcour Maclaren is an innovative and highly dynamic multi-disciplinary consultancy working on a huge range of exciting and diverse projects for a growing client base within Utilities and Infrastructure – think HS2, Offshore wind farms and Nuclear Energy! We are immensely proud to be working on some of the largest infrastructure projects taking place across the UK (and beyond!) which are instrumental in shaping the future of our planet. If you want to play your part in helping the earth become more sustainable, and to reach NetZero by 2050, you would be making the right choice by joining the team here at Dalcour Maclaren.
We are recruiting for an Apprentice Planner to join our office in Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire and work within our highly successful and continuously growing team.
Our 5-year Apprenticeship gives you knowledge, experience, and the qualification you need to start a career as a Chartered Town Planner. You’ll get hands on experience at the UK’s leading Utility and Infrastructure firm, and training will be provided by the University of the West of England, Bristol.
To work towards a professional qualification (Msc Urban Planning & RTPI) through a combination of on-the- job training and a formal university programme. This role will support the wider Environment and Planning team in daily activities; contribute as part of project team to deliver E&P services to clients and will work toward developing the knowledge required to research, interpret, and advise on a wide range of environmental and planning considerations.
After passing your studies and the necessary end-point assessment, you’ll successfully complete your Chartered Town Planner Apprenticeship. You’ll achieve postgraduate MSc Urban Planning satisfying the educational requirements of the Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI). At this stage, you’ll be a Chartered Member of the Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI) and allowed to use the post-nominal letters MRTPI
This is a permanent contract and if opportunities arise for promotion you would be encouraged to take these up. Once you are qualified, you will be eligible for a promotion interview to secure a role as a Planner within DM’s Environment & Planning Team.
As an Apprentice Planner, you will:
- Work in the Environment & Planning team on a permanent contract, with day release study for your university course.
- Learn about town and country planning and its application to the utilities and infrastructure sector. This will include key environmental learning such as EIA and working alongside our technical specialists for flood, drainage, ecology, archaeology and heritage.
- Work with your mentor and line manager to achieve your qualifications and manage your workload and studies. Once you have graduated, you will continue your studies to achieve chartered status of the RTPI.
- Work across the Environment & Planning Team on live projects and apply your regulatory and legislation knowledge to your day-to-day work; including initial site appraisals, site constraints checks, policy review and application; planning history checks and local plan analysis.
- Learn how to use data sources and applications and how this can be used in your professional work. This will include (amongst other things) report writing for all audiences, including for all types of planning application, internal documents, technical notes, strategic advice and due diligence reports.
- Benefit from a Personal Development Plan to include setting goals and objectives both for your qualifications and for your career progression with Dalcour Maclaren.
Benefits of RTPI Apprenticeship:
- Free student membership of RTPI
- Day release study, including a six-week work placement at DM
- Field trip opportunities
- Achieve CertHE Urban Planning Practice
- Achieve MSc Urban Planning (RTPI Accredited)
- Become a Chartered Town Planner
The successful candidate will:
- Satisfy the entry requirements (listed below).
- Be an excellent communicator with strong written and verbal skills.
- Have a willingness to learn and develop.
- Be self-motivated and organised.
- Be a great #OneTeam player and have a can-do attitude.
- Have a full UK driving licence and your own vehicle (essential).
Entry Requirements as follows:
- 104 UCAS Tariff Points – there are many different ways of achieving this, but for example: 3 A-levels grades BCC, or ACD.
In addition to one of the following:
- GCSE Grades C/4 in English Literature or Language and Mathematics, or equivalent (we accept Functional Skills Level 2 in Maths and English).
- EDEXCEL (BTEC) Diploma: No specific subjects required.
- Access: No specific subjects required.
- Baccalaureate IB: No specific subjects required.
- Irish Highers: No specific subjects required.
- T Levels: No specific subjects required.
Why Dalcour Maclaren? What makes us different?!
Really and truly, it’s our people and our culture. We are ‘One Team’, and this is the lifeblood of our organisation. We champion new ideas and are fully committed to Corporate Social Responsibility, and our Diversity & Inclusion. Our winning formula for success is investing in the fantastic people within our team to deliver an unparalleled and unique service to our clients. If you are looking to work for a growing organisation who are not afraid to be brave, bold, and push the boundaries to challenge the ‘norm’, then a career with DM should be the one for you!
- Annual performance bonus scheme
- 25 days annual leave plus 1 day to celebrate your birthday
- Private healthcare (through Vitality Health)
- Generous pension scheme
- Life insurance (4x Salary)
- 26 Weeks paid Maternity Leave
- 2 Weeks paid Paternity Leave
- Electric vehicle purchase (provided by Octopus Electric Vehicles)
- Professional development – paid study leave
- Military service paid leave (7.5 days per year)
- Flexible working through our ‘Flexible Advantage’ supporting working families & your work/life balance
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised gym membership and other Vitality Member discounts
- Charity support – volunteering your time encouraged
- Cycle to work scheme
Dalcour Maclaren is an equal opportunities employer.